Friday, January 25, 2019

Thousands of Names


I’ve been thinking a lot about all the names of people who have been lynched. Thousands of names that I have never read before. Thousands of names that aren’t in the textbooks. I just don’t understand how we have these names and it is still not being taught. That it is 2019 and this is the first time I have read these names. 

I have also been thinking a lot about people’s positivity during the movement. For example during the Children’s Crusade in Birmingham, how people came back in bathing suits after being sprayed with a fire hose. All the smiling faces while they were being sent off to jail, showing no fear. How people held their composure when being spit at and yelled at and beat. Staying in their seats while being screamed at and threatened. I just don’t know how long I would be able to stay composed like that. It is amazing how courageous and thought people are. 

Lastly a quote that has stuck with me and I’ve been thinking about is this-

“Instead of the arms race, we want to lift up the human race. Instead of investing in more weapons of death and destruction, we want to see investments in education, economics, and human development, so that all people have the opportunity to realize their full human potential.” -Coretta Scott King.
Phaedra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee