Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The common square

It’s fascinating to know how there are fragments of the civil rights movement scattered all over the place, there for anyone to see. I am thank that I’ve had this opportunity where I get to see where history happened and share this experience with such amazing people.

With that said, it’s also been challenging to digest everything that I’ve seen over the past few days. There is just so much to see and so much to think about that it’s overwhelming and exhausting, nevertheless, I am eager to continue learning about our country’s history and grow with the people that I’ve met.

What particularly impacts me is how there is so much history that involves the Civil Rights Movement everywhere, where it has become part of people’s lives. I mean, look at Montgomery, Alabama, a city that was once dependent on the slave trade. There, the common square, a place where much of the city’s traffic flows by, used to be a place in which enslaved people were auctioned off. Another place would be the Legacy Museum where the building itself was a slave holding warehouse.

There’s just so much history everywhere we go. As overwhelming as it is to see everything, there is just so much that to see and to learn about the Civil Rights Movement.

Tomas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee