Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Floating pillars

So today was a really long and tear jerking day for many people.. I will say it started off pretty well, I got miraculously a single seater, meaning more space of how selfish I am.. joking! I would say it started off hyped since I saw my friend keyonte begin the morning talk thingy.. It was great, we went to a memorial for the people who were killed during the racial terror era of the United States, it was devastating knowing that people treat african americans so much like insects or property.. What struck me the hardest was the "unknown" engraved on the floating pillars to signify their remembrance even if we can't fully identify them.. But I really want to bring this blog towards the end... It wasn't the best time for many, including myself. Selma. It was first introduced to us by a man we had randomly met on the streets of the church that had MLKJ's statue, he gave a abrupt message saying "welcome to saudi arabia",which was confusing and began to bring his friend to explain the situation of poverty and distress in the neighborhood they lived in, which was the project areas of selma. The threatening parts were that they had in possession visibly a weapon stated by another student after the encounter. This encounter was only to bring tears and sadness of memories brought up of a fallen student of City..

The circle is what I want to mention first, it was first to come together as a way to reconcile and rejoice our time in selma and to share thoughts, but it started going downfall with the first question.. "what are you willing to die for" to --> "1 word to describe your feelings of the trip so far~" --> "why your chosen word"...

This is something I don't want to personally go over as in summary.. people broke down to share their emotions after a long and stressful day at exhibits showcasing cruelty. You'll know from other day 3 blogs in details most likely!


Hoa Nguyen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee