Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Systemic pain

The combination of visiting the National Memorial for Peace and Justice, the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Legacy museum, and Selma saturated my mind with the systematic pain ingrained in our country’s history. While walking through the National Memorial, we were exposed to the many names of the victims of documented lynchings. The dates and the names are endless and thank god we have the memorial to remember them all. Some names are more memorable due to their personal connection. Howard Cooper in Howard County Maryland, nearby Park. I found one name that was a full name of a family member. This stopped me in my tracks even though I knew the shared name was a coincidence. I wonder if more people would care about this part of America’s history if they had to imagine a family member in a historical scenario. 

Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee