Monday, January 21, 2019

Heartbroken

I had gotten the chance to be able to experience the lunch counter simulation. It was kind of nerve wracking while in the line waiting to go as I've been told of this specific simulation before coming on the trip. Once it started it was quiet, way too quiet considering we were in a museum. But then it hit me all at once and the yelling from a crowd of people came in. At this point I was a bit anxious but kept my cool. Then one voice boomed loudly over the others. It would go from ear to ear and with my eyes closed I felt really immersed. The voice really felt like it was behind me. I tried to keep calm and keep my hands on the table, which were almost trembling at this point. The man’s voice was deep and filled with hatred. Telling me to either “get up” or “get out”. Then I started to feel like my chair was being kicked around. That’s when I felt more scared. My heart was beating so fast I was almost certain this man could hear. Having my eyes closed and seeing nothing made it more surreal, it heightened my other senses in a way that i was sensitive to everything that happened. My hands would jolt a bit above the table every couple seconds. Hearing the insults and ways they were going to hurt me really raised up my fear a level higher. After getting off it really did make me feel really heartbroken that this is what they had to endure just to sit at a lunch counter for food.

Deliana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee